Google+ is a social networking service launched on June 28, 2011. Currently it is in an invite-only beta phase and closed to the public. The question we ask: is there a space for a new social networking platform? Can it become more popular than Facebook?
History of social networking
Myspace is a social networking site which was launched in 2003. It became the most popular social networking site in the United States in June 2006. However by April 2008 Myspace was overtaken internationally by its main competitor Facebook based on monthly unique visitors.
Facebook is a well known, widely used worldwide social networking website launched in February 2004. As of July 2011 Facebook has more than 750 million active users – that is the population of the whole Europe! After Facebook introduced pages feature, a number of companies started featuring their Facebook pages dedicated for different products in their advertising, encouraging everyone to ‘like’ it.
The second biggest social networking/micro blogging website Twitter had over 200 million active users as of March 2011 and it is becomming more popular in the UK.
The Google+ project
- Circles – Users can organise their contacts into groups. This is very similar to user groups used by other sites like Facebook, enabling you to share information with particular group of people instead of everyone in your friends list.
- Huddle - Enables user using Android, iOS and SMS enabled devices to communicate within circles through instant messaging. This is handy if you need to make a group decision like which movie you should go with your friends or what time you are all meating in the pub.
- Hangouts – Group video chat. Up to 10 people can join one discussion at the same time.
- Instant Upload – Feature enabled to Android devices. You can set up your device to automatically upload all new photos/videos you take to Google+.
- Sparks – Topic recommendations based by your interest.
- Streams – Allows you to see updates from your Circles. This is very similar to Facebook status updates.
How to Get Google+ invitation
We have access to Google+ and we will give you an invite to Google+ today if you share this page to your friends on Facebook/Twitter and leave your Google e-mail address in the comments! Be quick as we only have a limited number of invites available!
Note: The fake invites are spreading through e-mail, and they look very similar to the actual invites to the service, down to the e-mail address which seems to be coming from a Google+ member. However, if you click on a link in the message you will be redirected to penis enlargement service.
Google+ is now open for everyone and invites are no longer required ;)